Brittany cultures and legends

The legends of Ankou

The Ankou is the best known of all the supernatural beings.
stakes emaciated, wooden shoes to toe, black hat on his head and a false emmanchée in reverse in the right hand, he led a wagon night grinçante
The convoy is by far the moor and sunken roads, those who saw almost no longer there to tell.
Ankou, mower soul, spares no one, rich or poor. Sovereign, he wins all for the place of eternal rest.
The lair of Ankou would Youdig or more precisely the Yeun Elez in the Monts d'Arrée entrance of hell where the souls are sent to their final resting place.
Ankou is on the plight of neighboring or even to churches, as Forfar and the plight of Brennilis.

The Breton language

Finistère (Penn-ar-Bed in Breton) is the most Breton department of Brittany. The weighted numbers provided by the survey study of family history [2] conducted by INSEE in 1999 are more than 132 000 Breton over 18 years for this single department. In addition, including the number of bilingual schools which amount to 4 333 students at the beginning of 2005, or the students taking Breton in public primary (over 7 600 in 2002/2003) or secondary (more than 1 800 in 2002/2003). Bilingual road signs used in the department.

Heritage Botmeur

Botmeur Breton comes from the "bot" (residence) and "million" (large).
Botmeur, former home chapel, owes its name to the manor or castle Botmeur property of the lords of the march, in the parish of Berrien.
Botmeur was once part of the parish's early Plouénez (or Ploumenez). After its dismemberment, Botmeur belongs to the parish of Berrien. Parish Botmeur, which depends on the bishopric of Cornwall, was established on 31 March 1837 and erected in common in 1851. There are
called Botmeur (in 1426 and 1444).

  • The church of St. Eutrope and St. Isidore (twentieth century), built on the site of a former chapel of the sixteenth century. This modern church is due to Mr. Chaussepied plans and includes a four spans nave with aisles and tower-wall and a choir docked two chapels. His blessing was held on 25 March 1909. After a fire, the church is restored and dedicated on 25 March 1935. The altar seems to be eighteenth century. The altar on the right is dedicated to St Eutrope. At the altar of the left, we see a painting on wood of the Blessed Virgin, holding the baby Jesus. There are statues of ancient Eutrope saint and the Virgin Mother
  • Manor relics of Botmeur (fifteenth century), owned by the family Botmeur;
  • Cross located the place of the church (seventeenth century);
  • Cross Cemetery (1933);
  • and the washing fountain (nineteenth century) from Balanec-Ber;
  • Well Traon (1815); Source:



    • Guide to Britain mysterious (black guides, Chu editor).
    • The legend of the death of Anatole Le Braz